Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Magpies Packrats and Writers


Magpies Packrats and Writers
             They were on the deck overlooking the valley.  The air between them was electric.  She took off her earrings and laid them on the table beside her and let her hair down.  Without a word they went inside.  The magpie came out of nowhere, picked up an earring and headed into the scrub oak.  He already had a hiding place picked out in the crotch of a tree and he hid it quickly and flew away hoping his actions had not drawn the attentions of another thief.  He would come back later and take his treasure out of hiding to admire the way it twinkled in the sun.  He had many such treasures hidden here and there.
             When I first went out west I met a historian whose job was to find packrat nests and search them for trinkets of historical value.  He had found many such items, brass buttons from Cavalry uniforms, trade beads carried west to entice Indians, jewelry, shards of pottery, and on and on.  When he died he left behind hundreds of tiny boxes whose labels corresponded with the numbers on a huge map.  He also left behind a mountain of notes that no one would read and hundreds of packrats feeling violated.
            As a writer I am like a magpie or a packrat collecting the shiny experiences of life and storing them away.  For some I keep notes, most are stored in my memory, but some can only be hidden in the heart.   I could label these under people, places, and things but they are almost always a combination.  There are thousands of them and I bring them out as needed to complete an article or start a story.  And then there are those I don’t expose to the public because they are to personal but they are there anyway shaping how I feel and how I write.
            Some are just trinkets of humor or beauty.  Some are lessons learned.  Some are the unique characters I’ve met in the backwaters of life.  It’s funny what may bring them out of hiding and onto paper.  We shine them up, change the names to protect the guilty and string them together with poetic license.   In thinking about this article I remembered three totally unrelated gems I picked up in the out of the way places I love.
            The house had stood well over a hundred years of miserable mountain weather and  just enough spirit filling mountain mornings and summer sunsets.   It had been built by her granddaddy as far up in the hollow as you could go before you ran into the ledges.  She stood tall and strait on the boot worn front porch.  A typical mountain women, a flower sack dress hanging strait on her gaunt frame, her coal black hair streaked with gray up in a bun and her green eyes bright as a sparrows looking down on the valley floor far below.  It’s as if she had forgotten I was there.  I had stopped in after fishing to say hi and we had spent some time catching up and we had drifted into a peaceful silence.  Her work hardened hands cradled a hot cup of coffee bringing heat to her arthritic joints.  The deep creases in her face spoke of life.  She had lost her oldest when the brakes went out of a logging truck, and her youngest daughter to the neon lights and drugs of the big city.  Her grandchildren brought her joy beyond measure.   She seldom complained but she did tell me once that those Ritis boys were no dam good and that Arthur was the worst of the lot.  She kept an eye on the strait- away before the first push up the mountain and when her husband’s old truck appeared briefly though the trees she went inside to start dinner and I got in my truck and headed back to town.
            Jean had his shirt off and you could see a half dozen zipper scars of various shapes and sizes on his upper torso and I knew he had a couple of doosies on his legs.   He had one huge scar that started at the belt line on his right side and ended just under his ribs on the left where an unknown bull named Bad Moonshine ended his bull riding career.  The reason he had his shirt off was because he was freaking out over a hornet that wouldn’t leave him alone and he was using it to swat it away.  Fear is fear and most of the time the size of the critter or the circumstance isn’t necessarily proportional.
            In the desert several miles west of the little town of Maricopa stands a beautiful little Spanish style church.   I was invited there to preach.  They told me to come early as they always got together and made breakfast at the church on Sunday.  Out here miles from nowhere the parking lot was full.  In the nooks and crannies of the desert live a very unique conglomeration of people from all walks of life and the congregation was made up of a wonderful patchwork of humanity.   By the time it was time for me to speak I had learned that the land the church stood on belonged to a tiny Mexican woman in her mid-fifties.   Her and her husband lived in a tiny house in the back of the property.  Several people insisted that she tell me how she built the church.  She told me in simple humble terms how she and her husband had no work and no money for food when God told her to go into the desert and build a church.  By the time her story was finished I wondered why I was there.  What could I tell these people about faith or obedience or love?
            I heard a preacher the other day say when we get to the other side we won’t remember anything from earth.  I hope that’s not true because I have been blessed with the best of memories and the magpie in me would like to keep them and bring them out every once in a while for the joy of it.
           
        

No comments:

Post a Comment